Immigration and Visas

Before departing for Australia, ensure you have a valid visa and passport. Visit the nearest Australian consulate or diplomatic mission for visa information, or consult the Department of Home Affairs.

A student visa allows you to enter, reside in, and leave Australia during your studies, but you must complete your degree before the visa expires. Additionally, a medical exam is required for your visa application, and further exams may be needed based on your circumstances.

Watch the video below for more information.

Student visa holders must be aware of the conditions relating to their visa. Conditions and regulations are subject to change. Student visas are managed by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), not the University.

You need to be aware that failure to comply with your visa conditions could result in the cancellation of your enrolment, which may affect your visa. It is important to take action early if you think you have a problem that could affect your student visa.

Understand your visa conditions. Common conditions for student visas include:

  • Maintaining consistent enrolment in your program.
  • Maintaining OSHC for the duration of your visa.
  • If you change addresses, notify the university within seven days of moving.
  • Studying at least 2/3 of your program in person, not online. You can take online, distance, or cross-institutional study as long as you are enrolled in at least one face-to-face University of Adelaide course per compulsory enrolment period.
  • Working no more than 48 hours per fortnight (two weeks) during official academic terms.

Please note that these are just some of your visa conditions. You should confirm your conditions using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system.

More details on visa conditions that may be affected by study alterations once you've arrived can be found under changing your study arrangements.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs for more information or to apply for a student visa.

The University cannot assist with student visa applications, or any other type of visa application. Information about how to apply for your student visa can be found on the Department of Home Affairs - Student visa website.